The ARF will be honoring individuals in five different categories:
ERWIN EPHRON DEMYSTIFICATION AWARD
The Demystification Award pays tribute to the father of ‘recency,’ Erwin Ephron, a pioneer and legendary influencer in media planning.
The Demystification Award winner showcases the highest level of demonstrated good sense, sound judgment about the business, and communication ability. He/she excels in one or more of the following practices:
- Challenges conventional thinking
- Motivates forward conceptualizing
- Promotes proactive debate and creative ideas
- Translates ideas into action
- Instills thoughtful understanding through clear articulation in public speaking and in writing
- Embraces analytics and/or technology that address the complexities of modern markets
- Inspires communication that speaks to CEOs and CFOs
- Encourages collegiality
- Moves the industry and will leave a legacy
Since 2014, the ARF has awarded seven individuals this prestigious award:
2020 – Josh Chasin, VideoAmp
2019 – Leslie Wood, Ph.D., Nielsen Catalina Solutions
CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER
Rewards a CMO who has embraced research, insights, and data analytics to drive growth, brand value, and/or better consumer experience.
Today’s CMO relies on their brand instincts as well as quality data inputs, analysis, and interpretation. The recipient of this award has demonstrated an appreciation of the value of research, data and analytics in various ways, including, but not limited to:
- Encouraged a culture of evidence-based insights within their organization
- Invested in developing a data and analytics infrastructure to inform decisions
- Exhibited openness to market feedback and responsiveness to data signals
Note: this award can be given to a CMO or other C-Suite marketing leader (e.g., Chief Experience Officer).
Watch “Conversations with Great Minds” to hear insights from our 2020 winner, Greg Lyons, CMO, PepsiCo Beverages NA.
FUTURE FORWARD AWARD
For achievement in using innovation to unlock insights about consumer or business trends.
The 2021 award recognizes a person or team who used new and innovative methods or technologies to predict future changes in consumer attitudes or behaviors. By anticipating these changes, the person or team gave their company a competitive advantage or provided the foundation for a successful marketing campaign.
Nominees should meet the following criteria:
- TECHNIQUE: How innovative was the technology or method the nominee used to generate the key insight?
- RESEARCH INSIGHT: What insight about the future did the nominee bring to life?
- EFFECTIVENESS/BUSINESS IMPACT: What did the nominee’s understanding and implementation of the method or technology do for their organization or the industry as a whole?
YOUNG PRO OF THE YEAR AWARD
In recognition of an outstanding ARF Young Pro who has shown exceptional leadership and important contributions that suggest future potential for industry impact.
This award recognizes those who stand out in the early stages of their careers, due to their important contributions, teamwork, and leadership skills at their organizations.
Nominees must be age 30 years or younger and meet the following criteria:
- CONTRIBUTIONS: Describe the nominee’s contributions to the ARF Young Pros and/or to the industry as a whole. Be sure to highlight any noteworthy achievements.
- EFFECTIVENESS/BUSINESS IMPACT: What did the nominee’s contributions do for the ARF Young Pros and/or their organization?
- POTENTIAL: Describe the qualities that suggest the nominee’s future potential to have industry impact.
JOURNAL OF ADVERTISING RESEARCH AWARDS
In recognition of the best Journal of Advertising Research (JAR) papers of 2020 — academic and practitioner — and of editorial board members who made excellent contributions to the quality of peer-reviewed papers.
The winning articles scored the highest number of votes from the JAR’s esteemed Senior Advisory Board and Editorial Review Board members. JAR’s Best Reviewer Award goes to the editorial board member who significantly improved the quality of peer-reviewed papers by providing in-depth, constructive reviews in a consistently timely manner.
There are multiple winners in the following categories:
- BEST REVIEWER (Academic/Practitioner)
- BEST PAPER (Academic/Practitioner)
Note: Winners of the JAR Awards are determined by the JAR editorial board and have no public nomination.
Please send any questions to Sara Serpe at firstname.lastname@example.org.