The ARF will honor individuals in five award categories:
Erwin Ephron Demystification Award
Winners of this esteemed lifetime achievement award are accomplished communicators and have the highest level of business acumen, especially in the realm of media and/or research.
In tribute to Erwin Ephron, the father of ‘recency’ and pioneer in media planning, the Demystification Award winner showcases skills that made Erwin a legendary and unique leader. This individual must have the highest level of demonstrated good sense, sound judgment about business, and can easily translate complicated ideas into action. The winner excels in some or all of the following practices:
- Challenges conventional thinking
- Motivates forward conceptualizing
- Promotes proactive debate and creative ideas
- Translates ideas into action
- Instills thoughtful understanding through clear articulation in public speaking and in writing
- Embraces analytics and/or technology that address the complexities of modern markets
- Inspires communication that speaks to CEOs and CFOs
- Encourages collegiality
- Moves the industry and will leave a legacy
Since 2014, eight esteemed individuals have been awarded this prestigious award:
2021 – Alice K. Sylvester, Sequent Partners
Watch “Conversations with Great Minds” interview
2020 – Josh Chasin, VideoAmp
Watch “Conversations with Great Minds” interview
2019 – Leslie Wood, Ph.D., NCSolutions
Watch 2019 ceremony
2018 – Gian Fulgoni, Comscore
2017 – Jim Spaeth, Ph.D., Sequent Partners
2016 – Irwin Gotlieb, GroupM
2015 – David Poltrack, CBS/CBS Vision
2014 – Bill Harvey, Bill Harvey Consulting
Chief Marketing Officer Award
Rewards a CMO who has embraced research, insights, and data analytics to drive growth, brand value, and/or better consumer experience.
Today’s CMO relies on their brand instincts as well as quality data inputs, analysis, and interpretation. The recipient of this award has demonstrated an appreciation of the value of research, data and analytics in various ways, including, but not limited to:
- Encourages a culture of evidence-based insights within their organization
- Invests in developing a data and analytics infrastructure to inform decisions
- Exhibits openness to market feedback and responsiveness to data signals
Note: this award can be given to a CMO or other C-Suite marketing leader (ex.: Chief Experience Officer).
Access “Conversations with Great Minds” to hear insights from the 2021 winner, Alvaro Luque, CEO, Avocados From Mexico.
Future Forward Award
For achievement in using innovation to unlock insights about consumer or business trends.
The 2022 award recognizes a person or team who used new and innovative methods or technologies to predict future changes in consumer attitudes or behaviors. By anticipating these changes, the person or team gave their company a competitive advantage or provided the foundation for a successful marketing campaign.
Nominees should meet the following criteria:
- TECHNIQUE: How innovative was the technology or method the nominee used to generate the key insight?
- RESEARCH INSIGHT: What insight about the future did the nominee bring to life?
- EFFECTIVENESS/BUSINESS IMPACT: What did the nominee’s understanding and implementation of the method or technology do for their organization or the industry as a whole?
Young Pro of the Year Award
In recognition of an outstanding ARF Young Pro who has shown exceptional leadership and important contributions that suggest future potential for industry impact.
This award honors an ARF Young Pro who stands out in the early stages of their careers, due to their important contributions, teamwork and leadership skills at their organizations.
Nominees must be age 30 or younger and meet the following criteria:
- CONTRIBUTIONS: Describe the nominee’s contributions to the ARF Young Pros and to the industry as a whole. Be sure to highlight any noteworthy achievements.
- EFFECTIVENESS/ BUSINESS IMPACT: What did the nominee’s contributions do for the ARF Young Pros and/or their organization?
- POTENTIAL: Describe the qualities that suggest the nominee’s future potential to have industry impact.
Journal of Advertising Research Award
In recognition of the best JAR papers of 2021 – academic and practitioner – and of editorial board members who made excellent contributions to the quality of peer-reviewed papers.
The winning articles scored the highest number of votes from the JAR’s esteemed Senior Advisory Board and Editorial Review Board members. JAR’s Best Reviewer Award goes to the editorial board member who significantly improved the quality of peer-reviewed papers by providing in-depth, constructive reviews in a consistently timely manner.
There are multiple winners in the following categories:
Best Reviewer (Academic/Practitioner)
Best Paper (Academic/Practitioner)
Note: the JAR Award winners are determined by the JAR editorial board and have no public nomination.
Any questions? Please reach out to Sara Serpe at email@example.com