Creating Effective Mobile Advertising
Manuel Garcia-Garcia, Ph.D., SVP, The ARF
Mobile ad spend is at $43 billion and growing rapidly, but an estimated 62% of campaigns today are not using mobile in an optimal way. For example, creative executions customized or developed for mobile are far more effective than those repurposed from TV. We surveyed and interviewed creative experts from top agencies and the provided the following guidelines:
- When it comes to length of the creative, over half say that shorter is better. However, it is less about time and more about quality
- Creative should be adapted for the mobile screen, with simple, larger images and text. Content should be made and tested with a vertical orientation in mind
- Include subtitles and captions to make your message clear without sound, but establish relevance early on to make them turn the audio on
- Recognizing consumers’ multi-tasking tendencies, make sure ads are engaging within the first 2 seconds. Introduce the celebrity, product, or punch line upfront
- Leverage data in the creative process: Track performance and consumer behavior. Test concepts and copy. Target and customize message for location, time of day, demographics, interests, and psychographics
Final research findings on Mobile Advertising will be presented at Audience Measurement 2017.
You can now access presentation decks, selected videos, and key takeaways from The Annual Conference Reports, by clicking here and using your myARF login and password.