In 2019, the Advertising Research Foundation received government permission to establish the ARF Charitable Foundation, a fully tax-deductible 501(c)3 subsidiary with the mission: to improve the quality and diversity of the future workforce available to the advertising, media and research/analytics industries. ARF WIDE – the Workforce Initiative for Diversity and Excellence – is a major step toward fulfilling that mission.
Companies, foundations and individuals can all contribute to ARF WIDE. Get to know more about ARF WIDE, and why it is so needed in our industry today, by watching the video below:
In September 2020, the ARF announced that Verizon and the Nielsen Foundation have made major contributions to ARF WIDE. These donations contributed directly towards the dollar-for-dollar challenge grant established by Scott McDonald, Ph.D. President and CEO of the ARF.
Verizon and the Nielsen Foundation were recognized among the companies and organizations contributing more than $25,000 to ARF WIDE at the 2020 ARF David Ogilvy Awards, which served as a benefit for the program.
What Does WIDE Do?
- Provides scholarships and fellowships to encourage students from disadvantaged backgrounds to complete their schooling
- Identifies economically disadvantaged students with interest in research/analytics through direct pipelines to state and junior colleges
- Connects ARF Scholars to apprenticeships and internships in ARF-affiliated companies
- Provides supplemental training in the ARF disciplines through ARF Education Initiative
- Connects ARF Scholars to peer networks through other ARF programs:
- Connects ARF Scholars to mentors in ARF-affiliated companies
- Helps companies in our ecosystem realize their diversity goals
Who is WIDE For?
College and Junior College students who are any of the following:
- From minority groups
- From low-income families
- From disadvantaged areas
- First-generation college students
Why WIDE Is Especially Needed NOW:
- Low-income families have been particularly impacted by the COVID-19 recession
- Economic stress on low-income families is causing many students to consider discontinuing their schooling
- Even modest financial support can make a huge difference
How You Can Help:
- Donate now!
- Recruit your company to become a founding supporter
- Introduce us to your company’s Chief Diversity Officer and/or philanthropic arm
- Volunteer to be a mentor
- Become a teacher in the ARF Education Initiative
- Help us place an ARF Scholar in an internship or an apprenticeship at your company
- Help us identify foundations and individuals who want to DO something about improving diversity
To get involved or learn more about WIDE, please contact us at WIDE@thearf.org.
Please note, ARF WIDE is a 501(c)3 tax exempt charitable organization. Contributions to ARF WIDE are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.