Editor’s note: The following is an author commentary for Forbes
These facts aren’t meant to discourage you from pursuing a social media marketing campaign, nor are they a criticism of the stats themselves. I’m a major proponent of social media marketing in my own right, and I stand by the idea that social media is still one of the best, most cost-efficient marketing strategies. But if you want to be successful, you need to set realistic expectations, and that means thoroughly understanding the nature and potential of the strategy before jumping in.
- Not all marketers see a positive ROI.
- It takes significant time and effort to be successful.
- The definition of a “return on investment” may vary.
- Social media ROI depends on other marketing channels.
- A positive ROI is getting harder to earn.
- Some industries are naturally better suited for social media marketing than others.
- Explosive growth requires a bit of luck.
DeMers, J. (2018, May 4). 7 Hard Truths About Social Media Marketing. Forbes.