According to a report from the Economist and Marketo, 81% of marketing executives surveyed said that they need to restructure the marketing organization to better support the business. Change is seen to occur in these areas:
- Marketing will be seen less as a cost center and more as a source of revenue in three to five years.
- Although a little over a third of marketers surveyed said they are responsible for customer experience today, 75% expect to take the lead in the end-to-end experience over the customer’s lifetime in three to five years.
- Engagement is becoming paramount. “More than six out of ten (63%) marketers polled say that engagement is manifested in customer renewals, retention and repeat purchases. Adding in the 15% who see engagement in terms of impact on revenue, a full 78% of marketers see it as occurring in the middle or later stages of the classic funnel.”
- Top areas in terms of skills development include digital engagement, marketing operations/technology, and strategy and planning.
- Future technology investment is led by social marketing, mobile marketing, and marketing analytics.
- Trends to watch include real-time personalised mobile and the Internet of Things.
For more on this topic, check out the Marketing Tab in Morning Coffee .
See all 5 Cups articles.