ARF EVP Chris Bacon says, “Everyone makes the pilgrimage to Bentonville, Arkansas, at least once in their career. The ARF made our second trip there on July 19 to host a Shopper Insight event dedicated to ‘The Untethered Shopper.’ Here are excerpts from two of the presentations:
From the Shopper Insights Event: Looking Ahead to the Voice Era
The modern living room experience features a multitude of connected devices, including significant innovation and adoption in the OTT and IoT landscape.
Massive growth in smartphone usage is paving the way for the voice era.
- Smartphone usage has doubled in the past three years, and since 2014 it’s driven all of the growth in digital media time spent
- Adoption of voice technology on smartphones has been steady, while many users have been relying on the technology for years
- 8% of U.S. homes use a smart speaker: 9 out of 10 speakers are from Amazon
- Americans are using smart speakers for a range of daily behaviors, with a small portion of these households using them to buy things
- Most frequent usage: general questions, weather, streaming music, timers/alarms, reminders/to do, calendar, home automation
- Smart speakers are already the #1 IoT (Internet of Tomorrow) category in the home, with more growth coming
Alison Robart, Director Client Insights, comScore. Measuring the Impact of IoT. TheARF.org.