Data Label Initiative Update
- David Kohl, President & CEO, TrustX – updated the collaborative effort between the ANA/DMA, IAB Tech Lab, CIMM and the ARF to create a Data Label
- It would be a standardized way for data providers to transparently describe the composition and provenance of data used to create audience segments used in media targeting.
- There’s a beta test online, with over 100 participants
Deduplicating Reach for Content & Ads
Scott McDonald, CEO & President, ARF, moderated a panel that included Radha Subramanyam, Chief Research & Analytics Officer, CBS Television Network; Eric Cavanaugh, SVP, Publicis Media; Beth Rockwood, SVP, Turner; Ed Gaffney, Director of Implementation Research, Group.
- Panelists discussed the need to deduplicate reach in measurement of both content and ads, since content measurement is required not only by media companies but for ad buyers to do media planning.
- Objective third party measurement is needed, rather than media companies “grading their own homework.”
- A siloed approach won’t allow for identity to be deduplicated across publishers and channels. Privacy challenges are becoming harder with new privacy regulation, since it gives publishers an excuse not to share data.
- They discussed how marketers should focus more on broad marketing to segments of customers, rather than marketing to individuals.
One Metrics to Rule Them All
Terry Cohen, SVP, 4A’s moderated the panel: Kavita Vazirani, EVP, NBCUniversal; Brian Hughes, EVP, MAGNA; George Ivie, Executive Director & CEO, Media Rating Council; Sheryl Feldinger, Research Scientist at Google.
- Brian Hughes reiterated that the TV industry needs to measure commercial minute ratings alongside C3/C7.
- George Ivie announced that the MRC will soon be releasing for public comment their cross-media comparable video metrics standard which recommends measuring duration and may go as far as calling for duration-weighting, along with counting only viewable impressions with presence of audio noted.
- Sheryl said Google has studied the issue of duration weighting extensively and found that the amount of time spent by consumers has a linear relationship with brand favorability metrics (i.e., the longer you view an ad, regardless of its length, has a positive impact).
- Kavita stated that counting impressions doesn’t equate to value for a marketer – remember the goal of advertising for the marketer is to drive brand growth.
Audience-Based Buying Platforms for TV/Video
Jeanine Poggi, Senior Editor, Ad Age moderated the panel; Bryson Gordon, EVP, Viacom; Mike Law, EVP, Dentsu Aegis Network; Bob Ivins, Chief Data Officer, NCC Media; Mike Welch, SVP, Xandr.
- Jeanine asked about the success of data-driven linear audience-based buying, as well as the forecast for delivering nationally-addressable ads. Overall, the panelists were positive about client uptake, but acknowledged that there are still industry challenges, e.g. a consolidated selling platform for TV across all pay TV distributors and OTT platforms. It’s still harder to buy TV than to one-stop shop at Google or Facebook.
- Additionally, they agreed that it’s challenging to produce personalized ads for addressable TV, when the realistic approach is to have a few creative options to address sizeable segments.
Source: CIMM, (2019, February 7). Summary of 2.7.19 CIMM Cross-Platform Video Measurement & Data Summit. CIMM.