Barry Blyn, VP of Consumer Insights at ESPN shared eight guidelines for telling stories that inspire:
- Rule #1: Great stories begin when you decide which stories to tell.
- Rule #2: Great storytelling also depends on the storyteller.
- Rule #3: Embrace the foggy areas. It’s not just a race to get to the insight, it’s also the quality of the insight.
- Rule #4: Delivering bad news well is a storyteller’s best friend.
- Rule #5: Having an opinion isn’t a ‘nice to do’. It’s a need to do.
- Rule #6: Every story should have a memorable metaphor that illustrates the concept in an unforgettable way.
- Rule #7: Market the methodology. “A central part of market research is marketing the research.”
- Rule #8: Market the deliverables.
ARF members can access the full deck by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org .
See all 5 Cups articles.